Martha's Vineyard Land Bank Commission
Home Page
Enjoying The Properties
Map To Properties
Dog Policy
Hunting Policy & Forms
Camping and Fire Policy
Conservation Land Maps
Affordable Housing
Guided Walk Schedule
Annual Cross-Island Hike
Farming on Land Bank Properties
Processing A Transaction
Enabling Legislation
Transfer Fee Regulations
Required Documents
Land Bank Forms
Processing by Mail
Land Bank Commissioners
Land Bank Staff
Talk to Us
Employment Opportunities
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Why is there a lien on my property?
I paid a Land Bank fee, can I take a deduction on my tax return?
What happens to the lien if I want to refinance?
Processing By Mail

You may process your entire transaction by mail
Please be sure to enclose with your deed any checks required by the Dukes County registry of deeds for its recording fees or deed stamps. You can contact the registry of deeds by calling (508) 627-4025 for more information. When your deed for recording is received by the land bank, it will be processed and then hand-carried to the registry of deeds, as a courtesy, by the end of the next business day. To request land bank forms, please call the office at (508) 627-7141.

Transactions may be mailed to:

Martha's Vineyard Land Bank Commission
167 Main Street
P.O. Box 2057
Edgartown, MA 02539

Deeds for recording by mail should have with them the following items to avoid delay:

An original deed plus one photocopy;
A completed and signed LB1 Form (please provided original plus two photocopies);
A bank check or attorney's client escrow account check for two percent of the purchase price or a completed and signed LB2 form claiming exemption from the land bank fee;

If the property is being transferred into, or out of, a corporation, partnership, or a trust, the packet should include a completed and signed LB5 or LB6 form (see Rules and Regulations for specific information);

Additional documentation to support any claims of exemption (see transfer fee regulations for additional requirements);

Checks for the Dukes County registry of deeds for recording fees and deed stamps, if applicable;

A cover letter if you have specific instructions for either the land bank or the registry of deeds.

If it is determined that the documents you have sent to the land bank are incomplete or are missing items, your transaction will be returned to you.